With Thanksgiving behind us, most of us are now focused on shopping, parties and, of course, more food. Not surprisingly, many women can get easily out of balance. Are you one of them or do you keep yourself centered and grounded?
Food can be the answer to keep it running smoothly. Really. I truly believe that we are what we eat and how what we eat affects not only our physical bodies, but our energetic bodies as well. Moreover, since everything is energy, and food is a form of energy, it will have a great impact on our well being, impacted by your chakras.
So, what are chakras? The word chakra means “wheel” in Sanskrit. According to one definition, it “is any of the several points of physical or spiritual energy in the human body, according to yoga philosophy” or “each of the centers of spiritual power in the human body, usually considered to be seven in number.”
Yoga is a whole different story Chakras are basically our energy centers in charge of flowing life energy into and out of our aura or energetic body. Their function is to vitalize the physical body and they are associated with our physical, mental and emotional interactions. So if they are in balance, we will be holistically in balance and vice versa.
YOUR CHAKRAS & WHERE TO FIND THEM
They are called “wheels” because they look like spinning wheels or funnels. We have them both in the front of our bodies and in the back.
We have seven major chakras, each one has a different color, name and function. For example, the root chakra (red, located on the base of the spine) is about survival and allows us to connect to the earth energy to find balance and grounding. The other six are located in various parts of the body and represent various areas. They are:
The sacral area—orange is for creativity, sexual energy, relationships
Solar plexus—yellow for self esteem, control, ego
Heart—green for emotions
Throat—blue for communication
Brow—purple for wisdom and intuition
Crown—white for higher self, spirituality
Each chakra also affects different organs and glands in the body, but I won’t get into that here. If interested, you can find information and books to shed more light on the subject.
The main thing to understand is that food is chief in keeping your energetic wheels clean and spinning healthily. Through the list below, not only will you be able to help balance your energy at all levels, but you will also be able to identify why you might be craving one type of food more than others.
EATING FOR WELL-BEING AND INNER PEACE
See what area you need to take care of, what are you lacking or craving and create your “inner peace” menu.
For example, let’s say you are spacing off and feel in need of some grounding. This corresponds to the root chakra, then your menu should have some, if not all, of the following:
• Vegetables: carrots, potatoes, parsnips, radishes, beets, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes
• Protein: eggs, meat, beans, tofu, quinoa, soy, almond or cashew butter
• Spices: horseradish, hot paprika, chives, cayenne, pepper, chili
If you need to nourish, stimulate, your creativity, clear and activate your sexual energy located in your sacral area focus on the following:
• Fruits: melons, mangos, strawberries, passion fruit, oranges, coconut
• Sweets: raw honey
• Nuts: almonds, walnuts, cashews
• Spices: cinnamon, vanilla, carob, sweet paprika, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, ginger
To boost your self esteem, or solar plexus:
• Grains: pastas, breads, cereal, rices, flax seed, sunflower seeds, nuts, chia (*Try to consume whole grains, avoid white processed flour.)
• Dairy: milk, cheeses, yogurt (preferably organic to avoid hormones and antibiotics)
• Spices: peppermint, spearmint, melissa, chamomile, turmeric, cumin, fennel, anise, coriander
To help heal emotional wounds and pain, or heart center:
• Vegetables: spinach, kale, dandelion greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, squash, pumpkin
• Liquids: green tea, mate, chai tea
• Treats: dark chocolate (70% and up)
• Essential oils: sandalwood, ylang ylang, jasmine absolute, rose absolute
• Spices: basil, sage, thyme, cilantro, parsley, rosemary
For self expression, or throat chakra:
• Liquids: water, fruit juices, herbal teas
• Fruits: lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges, kiwi, apples, pears, plums, peaches, apricots
• Spices: sea salt, lemon grass
To feed your intuition, or brow center:
• Fruits: blueberries, red grapes, black berries, raspberries, cranberries, acai, pomegranate
• Liquids: red wine, grape juice
• Spices: lavender, poppy seed, mugwort
To open up your spiritual connection, located on the crown of your head, balance the other chakras, which will help to balance the seventh chakra. Since it is about connecting with your higher self, you may find that you need more than food to help clear up your digestive system, energy and space:
• Fast, detox (eliminate processed sugar, processed foods and simple carbohydrates.) Keep your diet fresh, simple and clean.
• Practice yoga and meditation if possible. Just by sitting quietly for as few as five minutes with your eyes closed, focusing on your breath will make a huge difference in your day and health.
• The same can be said for journaling. You will be surprised at how clear you feel after writing down your thoughts and feelings.
• Clear your space using incense and smudging herbs* like sage, copal, myrrh, frankincense, dragon blood and juniper .
Taking a holistic approach to your lifestyle, mind-body and soul, will deliver the long lasting results you have perhaps been seeking in bogus trends or fad diets. Happy chakras.
*These are not to be eaten but are ritually smoked for purification purposes.